Friday, November 19, 2010

Practicing Linux Commands

I was practicing some commands of Linux, so I don't forget how to copy files in the computer or connect to the server using the Terminal.
I learn how to copy from a serve to my PC.
Example:
cp index.html  Documents/her.html
(cp) is the command copy and the (index.html) is the file I want to copy. The Documents/ is the directory where we want to copy the file and (her.html) is what I named the file after copied it.After Documents you can named the file, any name you want.
This command will work just in the local computer just to move file from one Directory  to another Directory.
Second Example:
  

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to talk to you about what it means in unix to mount a file system. You can't use cp to copy files between computers unless the remote file system is mounted into your local file system (remind me to explain to you in more detail what that means).

    There is another command, scp, that you can use to copy between a remote and local computer.

    ReplyDelete